Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm a hungerin...


WOW. There are a million words that could describe this movie and I'm terrible at thinking of one. I'm far behind on writing about recent movies but I just got back from this film (finally reaching the lowly screens of Nashville) and my eyes are still wide open. I have no idea what to do with myself right now. I will never look at food the same way and it will take awhile before I can watch a movie again (ok that's not true). Shit. I can't even function right now. Powerful. Devastating. Disturbing. Heartbreaking. Fucking awesome. That's my general consensus right now. I love when painters make movies. There's always a certain look to them and I'm always astounded by them. (Here's lookin' at you Mr. Schnabel)

I loved the fact that half the movie was silent. In fact, the only real sequence of dialogue is between Bobby and the priest and took far too long. I think I had gotten so used to no dialogue that I was tired of their conversation and just wanted another powerful silent scene. The scene where the SWAT team is brought in to beat the prisoners is one of the best shot, powerful scenes I have ever seen. And the tension that builds with them beating their shields? Crazy good. Man, I want to bottle the feelings I am experiencing right now from this movie and relive it every day. There are very few movies that last with me like this one. I just want to watch it again now. God, I can't even organize my thoughts. Bobby looked like Christian Bale from the Machinist. Creeeeepy. I never get grossed out or shocked from movies and yet again, Hunger surprised me.

His name is Steve McQueen. Steven fucking McQueen! You have earned my eternal gratitude.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment