Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nomination Morning

My first thoughts:

-THE BLIND SIDE!?!?! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD!!!
-Hooray In the Loop!
-How did Penelope Cruz stay in for the same role she won last year?
-They really must like Crazy Heart, Maggie Gyllenhaal in for the steal
-No surprises at all in best actor, actress, and supporting actor. I was sure something would shake up. Same thing with director and best picture (with the exception of the Academy finally not falling for the baity Invictus. Instead they chose the movie with Tim McGraw. Wise.
-The Messenger is the surprise in original screenplay. But awesome that Avatar got snubbed. Also interesting that they obviously loved the film but not enough for Samantha Morton to pull through suggesting maybe a greater love for Crazy Heart? (then shouldn't it have showed up in screenplay? the system confuses me)
-Surprised that Australia got snubbed in Foreign Language. Bummed that Bulgaria missed out.
-What was the surprise in animation? Something got snubbed, right? The Secret of Kells? What is that?

I ended up 38/45 with my predictions, starkly better than last year's 31/40 though I think I did worse this year because there were more surprises last year and I could have easily gone with consensus and emerged victorious. If had gone with expected Renner, Mirren, and Cruz I would have been 41/45. Oh well.

So I was right. Most of the expected ones made it meaning next year I'll go with consensus picks and get fucked over again. Vicious cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment